Consider buying this inexpensive piano lifting tool.
They are air wedge bags used by auto locksmiths which can effortlessly raise your piano 10 mm: high enough to slip your gliding castor cups underneath the castors.
Buy 2 Air wedges for £8.00 as an addition to your castor cup purchase at the PayPal checkout when you buy the castor cups.
You can also safely buy them from my ebay listing.
Air wedges can be used as a piano lifting tool:
The hand pumped lifting tools lift the piano one corner at a time 10 mms allowing you to slip the castor cup under the castor.
Use a book or two as shims between the floor and the underside of the piano.
Place them under each side of the castor and slide the deflated wedge bag snugly between the piano and the books,
Pump them, just high enough to slip the castor under.
Use the valve by the bulb to deflate it.
1) Have an assistant with you to hold the piano.
2) Raise the rear of the piano first: The centre of gravity is towards its rear. On some pianos, the risk of topple back is real. Raise the piano the minimum necessary to slip the castor cup under the castor.
3) If the piano is up against a wall, place a thickly folded blanket over the lid to ensure that the piano does not get jacked into the wall.
4) Thoroughly clean the floor under and around the piano to ensure that grit is not trapped between the castor cup and the floor.
5) When sliding the piano back against a wall, take care to ensure that you keep your hands over each corner of the rear side of the lid to prevent gouging the wall.
6) When sliding the piano back against a wall, take care to ensure that you keep your hands over each corner of the rear side of the lid to prevent gouging the wall.
© and ™ swpianos.co.uk All Rights Reserved 2010 - 2021