Households have a very simple
duty of care when disposing of a piano

Households have a duty of care to dispose of their old pianos properly (pianos are classified as general waste). 

Howeverthis obligation is very simple to meet; you need only read (and note) this page and check my registration via the link below.

The important facts are that as householders you are required to check that you dispose of your old piano with an authorised waste carrier (such as myself) who is registered to carry other people's waste...and that you can also identify who took it away.

Here is the link to my waste carrier dealer registration.

Every transfer of waste must be covered by the appropriate documentation. For non-hazardous waste such as pianos. This is generally a Waste Transfer Note.

The Environment Agency provides further statutory guidance for households and waste holders. Scroll down to section 5 which covers household waste and especially para 5.4 for relevance to your piano.

How else can you demonstrate you have met your duty of care when a private business takes your waste?

The Environment Agency provides this advice: "If you engage a private business to take away your waste rather than the local authority, in order to meet your duty of care you should check that they are an authorised carrier with up to date and valid upper tier registration. 

This includes a business which approaches you and offers to take your waste. 

Each carrier should have a registration number starting CBDU, followed by a set of numbers.

In England you can check whether a waste carrier is registered on the Environment Agency’s online public register of waste carriers, 

brokers and dealers using their registration number, 

business name, or postcode or call 03708 506 506. 

An upper tier registration allows a person or organisation to transport other people’s waste, while lower tier registrations are primarily for organisations carrying their own waste.What evidence can you use to demonstrate you have met your duty of care?

There is no legal requirement to keep records when you check a carrier is registered or a site is permitted or exempt, and a lack of records does not prove you did not meet your duty of care. 

However, if your waste is subsequently fly-tipped and investigated by the local authority, records can quickly show that you met your duty of care. For example, you could do one of the following:

* record any checks you make, including the operator’s registration, permit or exemption number

* keep a receipt for the transaction which includes the business details of a registered operator

* ask for a copy or take a photograph of the carrier’s waste registration or site’s permit

* record details of the business or of any vehicle used (registration, make, model, colour), which can be linked back to an authorised operator

These steps can help ensure your waste will be handled appropriately and not cause harm to others or the environment. These steps can also help enforcement officers catch those responsible if your waste is fly-tipped."

© and ™ All Rights Reserved 2010 - 2022